Monday, January 26, 2009

GANERDA GRUL INTERVIEW 1 - CAFFEINE AND E-BOOKS

Tuesday, January 13, 2009, 10:00 AM

Ganerda Grul, publisher of controversial comic strip album "STOP MAKING CRAP," and HAFJAK DIVIZ, author and illustrator of "STOP MAKING CRAP,' sit in the backyard of Ganerda's house in Los Angeles. Coffee has been drunk. A tape recorder rolls and--Ganerda turns the recorder off.

HAFJAK turns the recorder back on.

Ganerda: umm--Can we turn that off? Just for a moment.

HAFJAK: What's wrong?

Ganerda: umm--(head between knees) I think it's the caffeine. I drank one cup too many. The caffeine is hitting me. And my anxiety--I just need to catch my breath. Can we turn the recorder off for just a few moments?

HAFJAK: No, this interview is finally getting interesting.

Ganerda: Why? Because I'm having heart palpitations?

HAFJAK: No. Let me interview you. You're more interesting.

Ganerda: Oh no--

HAFJAK: Relax. Let's get this moment on tape. You can cut it out if it's embarrassing. Why are you anxious?

Ganerda: Oh--just busy. Really busy. (head between legs, voice muffled by skirt)

HAFJAK: With Ganerda's Business?

Ganerda: Oh yeah, with everything. You know how it is. A lot of good things are happening, but it's all happening at the same time, and it's a lot.

HAFJAK: Regrets?

Ganerda: umm--We're supposed to be interviewing you--

HAFJAK: Yes. We did. I talked already. We did the interview.

Ganerda: "Interview." Are we pathetic? I mean, I can't even get you interviewed by a real magazine or radio thing. What are we going to do? Oh yeah, you're finishing up the press release, that's good. It looks really good.

HAFJAK: Why did you publish me?

Ganerda: umm--

HAFJAK: Come on. It's just me and you. We've had this conversation a dozen times. It should be part of the interview. Which is a good idea by the way. Why just sit and try to be interviewed by someone else when we can do it ourselves? That's what this whole operation is about, right? No BS, just do it, get it done and let it shine?

Ganerda: I guess so. Sorry, maybe I should have eaten breakfast.

HAFJAK: You didn't have breakfast? What do you usually have for breakfast?

Ganerda: umm--Toast? Oatmeal?

HAFJAK: From the packets? Steel-cut? Maple syrup flavored?

Ganerda: Oh God--(lifts head) Oatmeal. We're talking about oatmeal.

HAFJAK: Well--Why are you anxious?

Ganerda: Do you think we should have done an e-book instead? Or maybe just a website? With all your artwork on it? Or maybe we could have done a softcover--or just a series of, like, traditional comics, the pamphlet kind?

HAFJAK: So it's the book that has you anxious?

Ganerda: (pause) Can we turn off the recorder? It's just the caffeine. I'm going to get some more water. Do you want more water?

HAFJAK: Why did you publish me?

Ganerda: Because I love the book. I appreciate all the interpretations made of it. But I've always believed that it was PLUS'S book and how he carries on despite that nagging voice of doubt. It helped me to know that that little voice of fear will always be there but to keep going. To just do because--why not? What else was I going to do with my life? And my life is--it'll be over sooner than I think, and what will I have to show for it? I wanted your book to exist. It has to exist and now it does.

HAFJAK: Thanks to you.

Ganerda: Well--

HAFJAK: It was just laying around in my garage. I wasn't going to do anything with it.

Ganerda: Well--(beat) The press release art is almost done? We'll get that out to everyone.
And Wonder Con is coming up! Oh my god--I have to submit these forms and--Okay! Thank you for the interview HAFJAK! It was fun and revealing and--I have to use the restroom, excuse me.


No comments: