Friday, January 16, 2009

HAFJAK DIVIZ INTERVIEW 3 - TITLE AND PSEUDONYMITY

Tuesday, January 13, 2009, 9:00 AM

Ganerda Grul, publisher of "STOP MAKING CRAP," and HAFJAK (always in CAPS) DIVIZ, writer and illustrator of controversial comic strip album "STOP MAKING CRAP," sit in the backyard of Ganerda's house in Los Angeles. The sun is out and the yard is warming up.
More coffee is served. The tape recorder is on, and Ganerda reads off another question written in her notebook.

Ganerda: The title of your book is quite an attention grabber. Why did you choose it?

HAFJAK: That's why--it grabs you. I didn't think about it much. I was looking through the material when I was putting together the book, paused when I saw that strip and said "that's my cover." It was between that one and the "NOTHING YOU SAY OR DO MATTERS" painting. But the "NOTHING..." one was too bleak and surrendered. The "STOP MAKING CRAP" one was more of a challenge, a smack in the face. It describes perfectly what MINUS is doing to PLUS all through the book. And, of course, it was the closest thing to saying "F- you" right on the cover of a book.

The title can be interpreted a few ways. There's the eco meaning, like "stop making crap, you're wasting time, energy and resources on making unnecessary crap." A lot of people agree with the title. A lot of people read the title, sigh and nod their head wearily, like they're standing in K-mart, looking at all the junk piled ceiling high and thinking "Jesus, what a lot of crap! They should stop making crap!" So there's the clutter-crap interpretation.

Another interpretation is seeing the title through MINUS'S eyes: "Stop making bad art. Stop wasting your time and do something worth a damn. Go out and help at a soup kitchen or something."

Or one could interpret the title through PLUS'S eyes: "This bitter little guy is trying to stop me from doing what I want to do. Will he succeed? Will I quit? Should I quit?"

Ganerda: Which interpretation did you intend?

HAFJAK: All of it. I see it from both perspectives, PLUS and MINUS. When I was putting this book together, I was overjoyed to be creating something, to be fulfilling a lifelong dream. But I had a lot of misgivings as well. MINUS was in my head saying, "Come on, the world doesn't need another book, especially this nasty little book. You're just going to depress people! Leave the rainforest alone. Leave the Chinese child print labor alone." All that doubt and fear is in the introduction. That big speech MINUS gives in the intro--I had to cut that down and shrink it so it would fit in that huge word balloon. There was no end to my misgivings.

I do think all this stuff about art. I have a love-hate relationship with art. I think a lot of people do, especially with modern art. Being an artist, I've always felt I could be doing something more constructive and less self-absorbed. I could use my creative brain to solve problems, create solutions. Instead, I'm just using it to create more crap.

Ganerda: Do you agree with MINUS that PLUS is just making more crap?

HAFJAK: Yes and no. That's for the reader to decide after reading the book. Or to see that both sides present valid arguments. Me? I'm still reeling from my friend's interpretation of the book. I always thought PLUS was the hero. But MINUS is equally heroic. It's his inability to tolerate crap that elevates PLUS'S abilities and output. That said, I don't think MINUS would ever be content with anything. MINUS would complain that absolute perfection is "too perfect."

To answer your question. PLUS is making stuff and some of it is crap. He's making little mistakes and failures on his way to success. He's on a journey. He's not afraid to stumble and trip on his way even though he has this HELF mocking him every step of the way. That's why I think the "STOP MAKING CRAP" title is apt. It's a parental command to rebel against. It's a challenge. Life is a challenge. Any geek in high school knows that. There's always going to be a-holes and loudmouths complaining and criticizing. Hell, most times what they say is funny and true. Just gotta keep on, not lose sight of the goal. Eyes on the prize, chin up, chest out, back straight, let's have some fun, get strong and get it done before we die.

Ganerda: Thank you. Do you mind if I reveal your real name and how you look and stuff? Reveal some basic info about you, so readers get a visual of you?

HAFJAK: I would prefer not to. When others think HAFJAK, I want them to visualize the mask, the alias, the alter ego. If readers want to know who I really am, that's easy, especially with the internet. I'm not hiding anything, I don't think I can. I just hope they associate "STOP MAKING CRAP" with the mask. It's part of the art, the identity. The HAFJAK mask is more honest than my real face. My face is a grinning lie.

Ganerda: Wow. More coffee?

HAFJAK: Yes please.




No comments: